The nominations are now open for the Cake Masters Magazine Awards 2018, so it’s time to get voting again . . .
We were absolutely tickled pink to win Best Retailer at last year’s awards. We also won in 2014 and have been finalists every year since but we’re not the type of people to rest on our laurels and we certainly don’t take anything for granted - especially when up against some of the best known names in the industry.
So we’ve been working harder than ever to introduce new products, faster deliveries and even more competitive prices. If you feel that Cake Stuff have done a good job looking after you this year then you can nominate us in Category 17 – Best Retailer Award.
A lot of new ideas, new investment and hard work have been going on during the past year - much of it behind the scenes. here's just a taste . . .
· our packing chips are made from maize starch and completely dissolve in water so can be safely flushed down the sink or loo - they can also be composted
· all our incoming cardboard is recycled and all our outgoing cardboard (the boxes we ship your orders in) has a high proportion of recycled material and can be recycled
· plastic packaging air pillows are made from recycled plastic and use a tiny proportion of plastic compared to the volume of space they fill - burst them and they take up virtually no room in your recycle bin
· we've invested in state-of-the-art, super-efficient, low energy warehouse heating and lighting
· we recycle everything we can - recycling targets for businesses in Scotland are pretty strict (and quite rightly too!) so we do everything we can to minimise waste, although we admit our new box-making machine at Warehouse B has occasionally thrown a wobbly and produced a box that was far too large for the size of order - we apologise and are fixing the glitch!
· we look at the environmental and ethical impact of everything we buy, right down to toilet paper and Fair Trade coffee for the team. We're not perfect - not by a long way - but we're working to make the business more environmentally responsible all the time
we also take our social responsibilities seriously - we work with a number of charities, both local and national. It's not something we want to shout about, but it is something that the loyal support of our customers allows us to do. Local food banks, homeless projects and countless fundraisers across the UK are all supported, as well as larger projects such as providing a nutritious meal for a child with every box of Couture sugarpaste sold, through the charity Mary's Meals
we have supported a number of new businesses and helped them bring their products to the UK market - a bit like Dragon's Den except we're all better looking(!)
we champion new brands from around the world - sometimes they prove popular and sometimes they don't, but we feel it's always good to offer something new in the belief: 'let our customers decide'
as a company, we are committed to paying all staff the Living Wage at the very minimum. We do not use zero-hours contracts and treat everyone in our team with dignity and respect
our famous Price Promise means you can relax in the knowledge that you'll always enjoy some of the very best prices in the UK
busy cake makers can apply to be Trade Customers - saving even more with exclusive offers and discounts
we work closely with regulatory bodies like Environmental Health, Food Standards Scotland and the Food Standards Agency to monitor and test brands being introduced into the UK. The vast majority are absolutely fine but, occasionally, this work identifies a problem (as with Rolkem) and we highlight these problems to the industry to try and keep everyone safe. Very often we pay for this testing ourselves to double-check that manufacturers' claims are accurate
we're constantly investing in and developing the Cake Stuff website - it's packed with great little features to help you search for and filter on the products you're looking for and each product is presented with loads of information to answer just about any question you may have
As one of the event sponsors, we want to encourage all our customers to get involved again and to nominate those companies, products and individuals who you feel have really stood out this year across a wide range of categories. You can vote in as many or as few categories as you want, so it's a great opportunity to recognise some of the outstanding talent our amazing industry has to offer . . . bakers, cake artists, sugarcrafters, teachers, authors, designers and manufacturers. You can also nominate your favourites from the very best products available in the cake decorating world today.
OK, so it's a bit embarrassing trying to blow our own trumpet like this - regular customers know we're not that kind of people and we prefer to just get on with the job of looking after our customers without making a fuss about it.
On the other hand, there has been a lot going on in the background this year that you maybe didn't know about so as every cake supplies retailer in the country now starts begging for your vote, we thought it worth letting you know what we've been up to in a very real effort to 'help you bake it better'.
Category 17 – Best Retailer Award
To nominate, just visit . . .